View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 10:10 PM   #21
Lost Sheep

Unsolicited advice: Unless you have a gun chambered specifically for 38 Special (or a good-sized stock of 38 brass already on hand) I would suggest doing what I do: I don't own a single piece of 38 Special brass. I do shoot a lot of .357 Magnum brass loaded to the powder level of 38 Special, though. It keeps my chambers cleaner and supply logistics simpler.

When I asked about your budget, I was thinking about the initial purchase of the loading gear. Ongoing purchases of components (powder, primers, bullets and replacement brass is another question). An outfit that will enable you to load the 2 calibers (.357/38 and 9mm) you mention could be assembled for between $250 and $400 for a really nice setup on a turret press. A bit less for a single stage. Figure your production rate at 50 per hour at first and faster as you gain experience. 60 to 75 per hour on a single stage and 125 to 200 per hour on an autoadvancing turret.

A progressive press for 300 rounds a week is justifiable, but just barely. A Lee Progressive will set you back $150 to $250 for press and dies for one caliber and another $60 for your second caliber and put you into the 200 rounds per hour range. A Dillon will set you back about twice that amount, but Dillons are more reliable and about twice as fast. Hornady and RCBS also make decent progressives. But I don't recommend starting loading on one unless you have a mentor who will give you a lot of one-on-one instruction and be your safety net.

I load for a half-dozen calibers in slightly higher quantities than you mention and have a first-class setup with everything I could possibly want. It could be duplicated at today's prices for about $700.

Tell us about yourself. It will help us help you.

What are your shooting goals? Cheap ammo? Ultimate long-range accuracy? Casual plinking, Serious competition - what kind? Cowboy Action Shooting? Strictly hunting? Personal defense? Skills development?

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02570 seconds with 8 queries