View Single Post
Old July 12, 2006, 09:08 PM   #1
DakTo

Somewhere between 44 Special and 44 Magnum

I will probably confuse every reader with what I am asking but here goes. I am looking for something in between the top end 44 Special and full house 44 Magnum. Right now I am reloading a Cowboy Action 44 magnum load using 5.9 grains of Titegroup with a 215 grain LWC. This was the only bullet available locally. This is pleasant and mild but I would like something with a bit more authority. I ordered some 240 grain Hornady LWCHP and 240 grain HP/XTP. From what I have read you should not exceed a 1000 fps with lead projectiles. I also read that jacketed bullets meet more resistance, thus requiring a bit more powder.

According to the Hodgon data I can use anything from 4.7-6.2 grains of Titegroup with a 240 grain LWC. On the high side it produces 18,400 C.U.P. I do not like to go to the high side of any load.

Next 10.0 grains of Titegroup and a 240 grain XTP produces 37,000 C.U.P. I realize this is the top end, so I should start at 10% less and work up to this. But this would still exceed 30,000 C.U.P.

Is there a way to use the 240 grain XTP, safely and yet have the effectiveness of a hollow point, without this much recoil? Or should just shoot lead in the magnum and revert to a jacketed 200 grain 44 Special for a business purpose HP?

Any thoughts on this subject will be appreciated. Thank you for your experience and advice.

Page generated in 0.02844 seconds with 8 queries