Thread: 1858 issue
View Single Post
Old June 23, 2012, 06:25 AM   #8
mykeal

Quote:
I pull the trigger back it will click at half cock, then click at "full" cock, then I can still pull it back farther.
Ok, I understand you get a 'click' at full cock as the hammer comes back, and I understand that once you get that 'click' it's possible to pull it back further.

What I want to know is, when you get that 'click' at full cock, on the way back, if you don't pull it back further, will it stay in full cock?

Mechanically, the only thing that prevents the hammer from being pulled back beyond full cock is the main spring, so I find nothing particularly unusual about the fact that you can do that. It suggests the main spring may somewhat weak or maybe dislocated somehow. If the spring still has sufficient force to fire the caps I wouldn't mess with it.

What I'm trying to do is understand the relationship between the sear and the full cock notch. The sear should be snapped into the full cock notch by the trigger side of the trigger/bolt spring as the hammer comes back and first reaches that position. If that's not happening you have a broken or incorrectly installed trigger/bolt spring, or the sear is damaged, or the notch itself is damaged.

If you MUST pull the hammer back past full cock and then move it forward to enter full cock (and it stays there) then the broken/misplaced trigger/bolt spring is likely. But if that spring is ok and you get a good lockup in full cock on the way back, then it appears the only issue is the ability to pull the hammer back a few degrees further, and I'm not sure that's a serious problem. You may wish to get into replacing the main spring or not.

Page generated in 0.02415 seconds with 8 queries