View Single Post
Old June 10, 2012, 05:01 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I just dropped money on this thing and there are hardly any loads for 38 spl/357 mag. Not even the standard bullet wt/types.
9mm is sparse too.
I just wasted $40.

I have the Lee Modern Reloading Manual and it has a lot of loads.

Any other good pistol books?
I wasn't very impressed with the Lyman 49th Edition, or the 3rd and 4th Editions of the Cast Bullet Handbook (got them both for free). It never hurts to have more data, but those books will never be a starting point for me. ...Far too limited in bullet weights and powders. It makes me feel like I'm looking at a Barnes manual.

Nearly all of my handgun loads come from, or are derived from, the Hornady 7th or 8th editions.

My other resources that get used often are: Speer #14, Hodgdon (website, 2008-2012 periodical style manuals, and/or an early '80s hardcover manual), and Alliant's data (which can require a bit of interpretation and adjustment, since they only use Speer and Federal bullets - but I rarely do).

Whatever the company may be... if I use their bullets or powder, I have their manual (or other forms of their data). But, I don't always consider it to be the best source of data for any given load. The Hornady and Speer manuals are great compromise manuals, that can get you started on nearly anything (so long as your powder is listed).

I do check my Lee manual, occasionally, but it is outdated. It lacks data for a fair number of new(er) powders, many new(er) cartridges, a large number of new(er) bullets, and most of it is compiled from other sources, anyway. Why not go straight to the source, instead of having to try to figure out exactly what "130 grain Copper" bullet Lee might be referring to?

Page generated in 0.03416 seconds with 8 queries