View Single Post
Old December 20, 2012, 05:17 PM   #21
iraiam

Quote:
for example, is it unreasonable to require new gun owners to take a mandatory safety course and test to prove their capability with a firearm? the way I see it, it's not that different from the laws surrounding car ownership. you have to take a test and demonstrate you know the rules of driving and most importantly, safety. Is it unreasonable to regulate private sales, so that gun buyers would have to go through a business with a legally held FFL? Is it unreasonable to require new gun owners to have some sort of safe or means of safely storing their firearms out of reach of others?
I reject the premise of your argument, your comparisons do not take into account that the right to keep and bear arms is specifically outlined in the Bill of Rights, in the Second Amendment.

Car ownership is not a right and is not in the constitution, the right to keep and bear arms clearly is.

While I encourage all new gun owners to be properly trained on the safe and legal operation of their firearms, I will flatly reject any government requirements that must be met in order to simply exercise any of our rights.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Page generated in 0.02000 seconds with 8 queries