View Single Post
Old July 4, 2010, 07:39 AM   #24
bds32

Very interesting topic to me. My thoughts on this is that the quick draw, although romanticized in some corners and dismissed by others, is an effective tool for self-defense situations. It's just one more piece of the puzzle. I think it should be practiced regularly just like the other necessary skills. I remember reading in Bill Jordan's fine book No Second Place Winner that a man should not feel like he is a master of the handgun unless he can draw and effectively hit a target in less than a 1/2 second. The best I've done from a thumb strap holster at a target 7 yards away, using the front sight, is just under one second. I've been a civilian LEO for 15 years and I have seen limited emphasis on it. It's not talked about often or practiced on the range much. As a firearms instructor, I do think it is important to talk about and to strive for the quickest, yet smoothest draw, you can get and that includes while moving laterally. I do agree with others that it is about perfect practice. Perfection in movement should be sought before maximum speed is attempted. Economy of motion should be paramount when conducting perfect practice. Obviously, the holster is very important to the draw. I am of firm belief that a good leather thumb strap holster (level 1) is about the best you can get when it comes to an acceptable quick draw/security combination. Personally, I like it better than the index finger release that you see all of the time now.

I have used wax bullets before (revolver). Very easy to load these things up using your reloader. It would all be great except one problem: after a few rounds, I've experienced severe "leading" of the barrel quickly followed by one them getting jammed in the barrel. Cleaning sucked. No more for me at this time.

One last point, I saw that two Tampa Police officers were killed last week by a suspect when they attempted to arrest him for an outstanding warrant. This was on a car stop and during the attempted arrest, the suspect was able to draw a pistol and shoot both officers in the head at close range. I don't know all of the details so comments are limited to it provoked in my mind, the idea of a quick draw and the first guy may not have had a chance but maybe the second guy, with the right mindset, holster, and practice, could have gotten a hit into the suspect. Again, not monday morning quarterbacking, it just got me to thinking.

Last edited by bds32; July 4, 2010 at 07:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.01951 seconds with 8 queries