View Single Post
Old March 25, 2008, 08:22 PM   #4
DMK

Quote:
An Army Vet told me that when he fought in the Phillipines during WW II, some of the men adapted the BAR Mag to the Springfield bolt action rifle.
Weren't there 20 round mags adapted to the 1903 during WWI, or was that just the G98 Mauser?

I did read an article in American Rifleman about a special Air Service version of the 1903 made during WWI. It definitely had a 20 round mag and abbreviated handguards. I don't believe any made it to Europe though, although a bunch served in Panama. I suppose it's certainly possible some of those could have made it to the Philippines. Seems like a perfect weapon to send over to freedom fighters during the Japanese occupation.

It's also possible some enterprising and talented soul cobbled something up. I've read quite a few interesting stories of small arms (and vehicles, ships and aircraft) being adapted in the field during WWII. That was a long war in far off places with many men who had a strong "can do" attitude and a lot of leeway in how they did it.

Page generated in 0.02205 seconds with 8 queries