View Single Post
Old February 16, 2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Sevens

I load for a .30 Carbine Blackhawk. It's a fun and different kinda setup. I enjoy mine, but the truth is... it's kind of a PITA, really. Still enjoy it, still load for it and still shoot it.

Full-bore loads stick in the chambers, horribly, and are a monumental chore to extract. This is a shame, too, because the available meat in that gargantuan cylinder lends itself quite well to making harsh loads, but if you do... this revolver becomes a six shooter in the most genuine sense. Like as in, six shots, then go home. Also kind of an annoyance because case length is critical. Too long and you tie up the revolver something fierce. Trim them too short and the firing pin won't reach the primer and they won't fire. Of course, you need case lube to size them and a lot of elbow grease due to the tapered cartridge design. So as a revolver round... this caliber is labor-intensive at the load bench.

I have had very good luck with Berry's plated RN .30 Carbine bullets. These have a much thicker plating than most of their pistol bullets and are rated to 1,950 FPS, a speed I won't attain from a B'Hawk. Currently, I'm pushing these slugs with 12.5 grains of Alliant 2400. I brought this down a tick from 12.8 grains because those were sticking in the chambers. Could be that I might try to bump it up again, maybe my chambers are "smoother" now than a couple years back.

I've dabbled in some Blue Dot, IMR-4227 and AA#7 loads, but I'm pretty fond of 2400.

Page generated in 0.03519 seconds with 8 queries