View Single Post
Old October 10, 2005, 08:21 PM   #17
threefivesevenmag

Gang Thoughts.

Attacks like this do happen. I agree there are many details and variables not mentioned in the story. This seems to be an important discussion, for I feel...and this is just personally, not a fact...that some of the most common marks of any violence are younger people, particularly women, and of course older folks.

I myself have almost been attacked by a gang of frat guys when I was at my friend's party. It was a long distance travel to the party and it was for his graduation. I was among friends and this frat guy just started calling my friend names. He then started calling female friends names as well as other friends. He was trying to START a fight as he knew his 10-15 frat buds would have his back. I asked him what the problem was and he told us he was going to beat all of us up, etc...only not in such nice language. Anyway, I asked him very very nicely if there was anything we could do to just keep the gathering "calm" etc. He said only if we left the party. Well, instead of fighting a huge group of guys, I gathered my friends and we left. It was difficult because my other friends aren't into "avoidance" but, luckily nobody got in a fight. I did see all the frat guys come out to see that we "got in our cars" etc. I wasn't carrying that night, as it was a party and I had more than one drink, but I was not "drunk." I don't think drinking and any weapon mix. So I used my brain and gladly...nothing happened. Pride is not worth that kind of blood.

I think leadcounsel has some good points. Others also have valid points.

1. Be aware!

2. Don't put yourself in a risky situation (out at 3:00am when you don't have to be).

3. Be prepared to fight hard or run quickly. DISTANCE is your friend and you should be able to maximize it in most situations you stay aware of.

4. If you carry and draw...only do so to fire, do not do it to intimidate. Gangs can smell fear. Only draw to fire when you are in fear of your life.

5. When you fire, immediately make distance and take cover. You don't shoot a gun like in the movies...two footed and everyone falls like water. You will have to move and make distance to survive any gunfight or fight for that matter. I feel if you fired upon an attacking gang and you made distance, chances are they would either scatter, give up, take cover themselves, or chase you...hopefully you are faster and better trained in mindset/skills to handle the defensive situation they have put upon you.

6. They probably won't attack you if they feel you have a good offense ready. Don't talk "crap" to anyone...but carry yourself well and be aware. Just don't look like a mark. Don't be "tough" just be "ready."

7. Carrying when in a restricted area is a personal choice. Weigh the risks.

8. Even a great martial artist would have trouble surviving an immediate gang attack with their numbers being 9 or above...actually it'd be unlikely. It'd be better to run in that situation.

9. Again..avoidance and just be prepared.

All right, I don't know if I have added anything here. I hate the whole "gang" situation in our world, but it's been going on for ages since we were in tribes, etc. Refuse to be prey, but don't live in total fear of predators. Just be prepared to deal with the situations a predator might attempt to place on you.

Page generated in 0.02915 seconds with 8 queries