View Single Post
Old November 16, 2001, 03:05 AM   #9
sinecure

I'd go for a pressure-cooker and then into a stew with an onion, some celery and a few spuds, maybe a carrot. Fine eating! Bought a pressure-cooker several years ago at a garage sale just for my squirrel trips. Fits on a Coleman stove just fine.

This talk of squirrels brings back memories...

A long time ago, I was squirrel hunting. It was getting late in the afternoon, and I was walking down a fire trail, headed back towards the pickup when I saw somebody up ahead. As I got closer, I could see the person was carrying 4 or 5 squirrels... but I couldn't see a rifle or shotgun. As I got even closer, I saw it was a youngish male, and damned if he wasn't about the UGLIEST human I'd ever seen. We stopped to talk.... I said that it looked like he'd had some pretty good luck. He said that he had 5 squirrels, but wished he'd had a few more, as it took about 8 to make a meal for his family. I mentioned that I didn't see a gun, bow, slingshot, or any other weapon, but each squirrel seemed to have head trauma as a cause of death. (A hunter-to-hunter compliment... "headshots" don't waste edible meat.) He said that he didn't need a weapon, that he "uglied the squirrels to death." I said that I'd never heard of such a method, and asked for an explanation. He said that he'd just hide in the woods, behind a log, rock, or bush, and just wait until he heard the sounds of squirrel activity nearby. Then he'd quickly come out from behind his cover and show his ugly face. The squirrels would be so shocked and afraid at the sight that they would run off in a blind panic, usually running headlong into a tree or boulder... killing themselves. All he had to do was pick them up.

Now, I wasn't sure if I was being put on like a sock, or if this guy was telling the truth.... he WAS powerfully ugly... So I asked him if he was the only one in his family who hunted with that method. He said that he had a sister who could hunt squirrels the same way, but that the task of hunting usually fell to him, because "She tore 'em up too much."

Page generated in 0.09281 seconds with 8 queries