View Single Post
Old March 22, 2006, 06:51 AM   #53
BlueTrain

Well, I have a closet full of guns and I don't carry. I've thought about getting a permit but it didn't seem like it was worth the trouble. Anyhow, I live in a nice safe area, just outside D.C., where nothing ever happens except high school students kill themselves in fast cars. I'm almost 60 and have never once had an experience that suggested that a firearm might be handy. That includes many nights in the woods, even more nights in D.C., and living for a long time in West Virginia (whatever that implies). I don't get out so much any more, so I guess the risk is even less now.

Here's something else. I don't really worry about a run-in with anyone but I'm sure worried about the government, especially the police. They way certain jurisdictions fool with red-light cameras, you might get the impression they are trying to catch you doing something wrong, no matter what they have to do. You can't fight city hall--its owned by the Republicans now.

Of course, there is a first time for everything. My father once told me he carried a gun when he was driving a truck, which would have been in the 1930's. A .25 auto, no less. Personally, I'm not too wild about other people carrying around guns, legal or otherwise. Some people do have a temper and a hair trigger. I especially don't want people carrying guns openly. I see that as an implied threat. Anyway, I've known too many people killed by guns, none where I live now, but I think the number is up to about six or seven and some of them were relatives (I'm serious). That's one reason I moved to the city. It's safer.

I'm probably in the minority here.

A few years ago when it became easier to get a carry permit (Fairfax County, Virginia), a local newspaper started publishing the names of applicants. I didn't think much of that idea either.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.03643 seconds with 8 queries