View Single Post
Old February 9, 2006, 06:10 PM   #14
bruchi

Ammo

Ammo does makes some diference, for instance I find that Sellier & Belliot on autos, particularly on 45 is useless, then Wolf, cheap and dirty is pretty accurate, American Eagle pretty good for the price and Winchester White Box very good and still affordable for target practice.

Someone mentioned 80% is triggger control, that guy knows what he is talking about. Also are you holding the gun correctly, for a 2 hand grip, recommended for a novice your strong hand should grab the gun's grip as higher as possible with the gun's barrel lined up with the bone that goes from your elbow to your wrist, as an extension of it if you will, you are to make pressure only on the front and back of the grip, not on the sides, you should be able to put a cigarette under your palm without crushing it.

Your weak hand goes on top of the strong hand, wrapping it, never under it like a saucer and cup, leave that for Hollywood, your index finger is to make contact with the botom of the trigger guard, thumbs are to be on top of the slide, strong hand thumb making contact with gun, weak hand thumb on top of it, both pointing forward, make sure that their position does not interfere with the slide stop. Pull gently the trigger once the sights are lined up using the tip of the trigger finger. yes you should not anticipate the shot.

On getting snap caps for dry firing they say that it is not needed on centerfires but being so cheap why take a chance, also they will come handy in finding out if you are flinching, the other 18%, the last 2% is getting the sights lined up which is easy, keeping them there is another story.

Get a friend to load up the magazines for you and to also load them in the gun putting snap caps in between live ammo, the friend is so you won't know when you'll have a live round and when a snap cap, as you shoot it will become evident if you are flinching when a snap cap comes up. Most probably you will be. Keep this up until you don't.

Also a new gun has to be broken in, some take 200 rounds to do this, some 500. I just got a new Kimber and ran 600 rounds of cheap ammo before going for accuracy, today I ran 2 boxes, one of American Eagle, the second of Winchester White Box, by the middle of the Winchester my 5 round groups at 12 yards where one big hole, I guess those 500 dry fire pulls every day plus the 600 rounds with the cheap ammo helped me get down the Kimber's trigger.

It takes time, one step at a time.

Page generated in 0.02772 seconds with 8 queries