View Single Post
Old January 3, 2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Savage Sam

Brand new reloader! Tips?

Hi all-
This reloading virgin has finally bought his first reloading setup, a Lee Loader. I will only be loading for the .300 Savage to start off, so anyone with experience loading for this caliber, please share your insight. The two rifles I will be loading for are a Remington 722 and a Savage 99E. I am interested in using such bullets as the original Winchester Silvertip, Remington Bronze-Point, and Nosler Partitions. I have 440 pieces of once-fired brass from my two rifles and several other Savage 99s, along with 50 pieces of new Winchester brass. My reloading setup will be very bare-bones at first, and I will probably not be doing a very high volume of reloading. All the load data is included with the reloading setup, but I also like to check things out on the forum just in case

Here are some specific questions:

1) Are large rifle primers the correct ones to use for this caliber?

2) What bullet weights should I try? I have heard that bullet weights from 150-165gr. work best in this caliber and not to go above 180gr. as a general rule, due to the .300's shoulder angle & short neck. Thoughts?

3) Which powders do what? (I am a complete powder ignoramus) and what powders would you recommend for pushing different bullet weights in this caliber?

4) In general, what are safe loading guidelines for this caliber? Can I use higher pressures in the 722, since it locks up at the front of the action and is a modern bolt action? Or should I just suck it up and buy an '06 or .308?

5) I have read somewhere that the .300 Savage requires some special kind of die. Are there large and small dies and which do I need? A sizing die comes with my Lee Loader, will that size work?

6) I was (am) under the impression that everything I need to begin reloading is included in my Lee Loader kit. Is there anything else that is relatively inexpensive that either I flat-out need, or would make my life a whole lot easier?

Thanks in advance for the replies-
Savage Sam

Page generated in 0.02398 seconds with 8 queries