View Single Post
Old January 8, 2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Flatbush Harry

Re-examine sniper, stud hoss...getting 1,000 yard head shots is not the mission. Second, two off the shelf rifles are well suited to the sniper role: the AI AW and the Sako TRG series. Others, such as the FN USA SPR series, are close behind, with the lowest cost variant good to go sells for $2,450. Remington 700s can be made ready for under $1,000 and, given the $550 price of a R700 SPS Varmint or SPS Long Action, represents an economy way to go. My SPS Varmint, NIB with no mods, shot to <1/2" with .308 FGMM.

As to calibers, .308 Win and .260 Rem are very popular and common, 7mm RM, .300 WM and .338 LM are frequently seen in long range shooting matches. Senderos come in mag calibers and the SA .308 version is available for Remmy in the Varmint SF as well. You'll probably want to replace the stock, even if you are, by your own casual admission, as good a shooter as anyone here.

The Vortex PST is very good as is the Leupy Mk 4 series. NightForce, USO and S&B will go nearly $2,000 by themselves.

A well set up precision rifle with glass will set you back $2,500-8,500 and weigh at least 12 pounds. I think you may find that most elk live in high, and frequently steep territory, and lugging a 12#-15# rifle up the side of a Rocky Mountain may be prohibitive. I hunt with a Savage 116 or Win M70 in .30-06...both are 7.5 pound rifles that, with glass (mine have 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquests), come in under 8.5#. Since the rifles are <1 MOA shooters w/ my Barnes TTSX handloads, I feel pretty confident out to 350 yards...and I wouldn't take a headshot from a field position much past 50 yards. YMMV since you are a self-admitted expert.

Remember, as the Lone Ranger said, "It ain't the arrows, Tonto!".

FH

Page generated in 0.03545 seconds with 8 queries