View Single Post
Old August 19, 2009, 09:10 PM   #16
Scorch

I hunt two Brittany spaniels. I have owned an American Field setter, a Weimaraner, and now the Brittanys. All have been females. Males have more stamina, more strength, more endurance, more "go power", so to speak. A good male upland hunting dog will make you wish you had stayed in shape for the last 30 years, because he will run you into the ground. He will also pee on every vertical surface within half a mile in the first 22 minutes, he will have scouted half the county by the time you get your vest and the whistles on, he will find any female within 2 miles and try to breed her, and all that without putting up a single bird within range. Females, on the other hand, hunt closer, hunt slower, are more focused, and will gladly take a break with you and help you eat your sandwich halfway through the hunt. They are easier on birds, less likely to break point, and will not make you feel like you can't quite keep up.

Long story short, if you are going for a field trial dog, get a male. If you want a hunting companion that will double as a house dog, get a female.

Page generated in 0.02353 seconds with 8 queries