View Single Post
Old September 20, 2012, 09:48 PM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unless things have changed radically, a reblue by S&W will be almost impossible to tell from the original factory finish (which is why S&W puts a special mark on the guns they refinish). The price quoted for refinish and "tuneup" (which in S&W terms probably means a complete rebuild) seems reasonable and not out of line with gunsmith charges for the same work.

If you feel it is too much to spend on that particular gun, that is a value judgement. But if you want the work done, IMHO you will probably be better having it done by S&W than by a local gunsmith.

(I don't like to knock local shops, I worked in several. But in one place, the guy they had doing the polishing could make a $50 gun out of a $1000 gun very quickly. He never left a hole undished or a marking intact, and every corner was "melted" even before folks did it deliberately. I once tried to get him to polish the sideplate and frame together to elimnate the "trench" and was told off by the boss, who liked "mirror" finishes. Oh, well.)

Jim

Page generated in 0.02707 seconds with 8 queries