View Single Post
Old August 16, 2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

My experience here is very limited

I have only just begun loading cartridges and am at the beginning of the learning curve.

When I was considering drop tubes and what they are intended to do (at least my understanding of it) I reached the conclusion that I don't really need one.

I am loading .45LC and I can get all of the powder into the case that I need without the benefit of a drop tube. I don't even shake or vibrate the cases once they are charged and I feel like I do not need more powder.

I did reason though, that a potential secondary benefit of using a tube is to give a more even dispursion of the powder in the case than could be acheived by charging with a scoop or with the flask attachment contraption I use. This may not even be important but I figured, What the heck?

So I made a shorter drop tube with a taper to it which I thought might even out the flow of the powder into the case.

I tried several times to detect any difference in the level of powder in the case when I load with the drop tube and when I load directly from the flask attachment. I was not able to detect any. I measured the level with a dowel I have marked. I know I am putting the same amount of powder into the case. But I swear, I saw no difference in the level to which the case was filled with or without the tube.

So now, here is my question:

Is it possible that a drop tube has a more profound benefit to rifle cartridges that are intended to reach way out there than to revolver cartridges?

Page generated in 0.02980 seconds with 8 queries