Thread: Gun Safe Advise
View Single Post
Old January 8, 2011, 12:24 AM   #32
north1

I'm going to chime in on this discussion, not because I feel I'm and expert in any way, but because I find it very interesting. I value both point of views and your expertise.

Just because safe manufacturers stick with a certain type of insulation does not automatically preclude its better or best. Just doing something for many years also does not mean its the best way. This applies to all facets of life.

If you assume fiber insulation is better, why would companies not make the switch? I can think of many, but heres a few.
#1. Old habits die hard. Maybe an overused expression but true.
#2. They are already set up and tooled to do it this way and change costs money.
#3. The marketplace is not screaming for change. Heck the average Joe doesn't even take that much notice of fire ratings.
#4. Why change and admit someone else was doing it better all along.

I'm sure their are more reasons and I bring these up because I see resistance to change all the time in my occupation--agriculture. People plowed for years until finally no-till took over. Combines used conventional threshing systems for years until a few changed to rotary combines and now its very hard to find a combine with a cylinder. I could go on and on. I think we all could in relation to our own areas of expertise.

Page generated in 0.03068 seconds with 8 queries