View Single Post
Old September 6, 2009, 08:37 AM   #10
CGSteve8718

I strongly suggest looking for a Finnish Mosin Nagant. Same action, same design, same ammo, only beefed up and improved. They should also fill the collector aspect of your search, as you can find many that are WW2 era.

Basically, an excerpt I read somewhere puts it like this, the Finns took the Mosin Nagant, a conscript rifle, and turned it into a rifleman's rifle.

Another WW2 bolt action rifle that is really smooth and accurate are the various Enfield rifles. They are designated by types, which is an entire book of info in itself, but some quick research will let you know which types were most prevalent during the war.

Like the one poster mentioned, there are Yugo refurbed K98k rifles, but the ones that you've seen are probably post war M48s. However, nothing wrong with the K98k except for ammo consideration. In a way, you'd still be getting a "Russian" rifle, as in you'll most likely be getting a Russian capture K98k if you decide on that. The Mosin Nagants did their part, but any Mauser action/rifle would be smoother and far better produced with manufacturing and attention to detail than the Mosin Nagants. Oversight on detail of manufacturing was eventually thrown out due to wartime necessity, but I'd bet a "last ditch" K98k is made with more care than any 91/30, M38, or M44 ever was. However, the Russians would probably look at that as a compliment of the highest degree.

If money is a concern for the rifle itself, then I say the Russian Mosin Nagants are your best bet as they are still relatively cheap. A German Mauser K98k, even a Russian capture will go for at least $100 or close to $200 more simply because German/Nazi militaria is, and was much more popular and in higher demand than any Soviet/Russian or combloc stuff.

Last edited by CGSteve8718; September 6, 2009 at 08:58 AM.

Page generated in 0.02318 seconds with 8 queries