Thread: Priming Problem
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2001, 09:54 AM   #1
Hip's Ax

Greetings,
I have a Hornady Hand Held Priming Tool, I have been using it for about a year and just last night I noticed a problem. I am currently loading Lake City brass in .223 (5.56mm) for my nation match AR. Of course with a military semi auto, slam fires are always a concern. For this reason I am careful to uniform the primer pockets so as to ward off any high primers. I made a few batches of primed brass and just before loading I make a careful inspection of primer height for safety. I was finding a few flush primers and a very few high primers. I assumed that I had not uniformed the primer pockets correctly, so on my next batch, I was very careful to perform this operation correctly. Last night while priming this brass, I was finding that I had a really high percentage of high and flush primers. In a attempt to find the reason, I put the primed brass through my press using the primer arm, almost all of the primers went in a little further resulting in nicely seated primers a few thousandths below the rim. Is the fact that I am using Redding shell holders in my Hornady priming tool to blame? Would purchasing a set of Hornady shell holders remedy the problem? I really like the tool, it is very convenient to be able to prime my brass away from the reloading bench. Thank You For Your Time.

Page generated in 0.03593 seconds with 8 queries