View Single Post
Old November 25, 2010, 10:25 AM   #5
50of4064

I think Jim is on the right track.
Three coats is not a lot since sometimes to get the finish just to my liking there may be 10-15 coats on it when done. I think that you may be putting on to much at a time, the oil finish may look glossy as you wipe it on and there is where your streaking is occurring.
I found that RUBBING the true oil in by hand worked best, Just a few drops or so and smooth it around a given area and rub it in, it will spread out and as you rub it will start to tack up, play with it and add a drop if you need to, then move down to the next area and work up to the area you just finished. After about 3-4 coats with the overnight to dry between coats, I either sand or steel wool the stock down again, Mineral spirits to wipe down and start over, this builds up and levels out the finished surface.
The deep luster finish that you can get from an oil rub is not like a spray finish, it is not a finish you just wipe on and off a few times.
Did you fill the stock wood before you started to apply the oil finish?
P.S. The finish will take a full 2-3 weeks to reach full cure, the nice thing about the oil finish is it is easy to restore, hit it with 0000 steel wool and re-coat.

Last edited by 50of4064; November 26, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

Page generated in 0.04015 seconds with 8 queries