View Single Post
Old September 30, 2009, 01:52 AM   #1
Rich Miranda

Implications of carrying concealed and having a medical emergency

About a week ago I took my daughter to the dentist. I have my CHL and, as usual, I carried my SP101 with me. While we waited for her to be seen, I felt a twinge of pain in my back, which quickly progressed. I've been through it twice before, so it only took a few seconds to realize what it was: a kidney stone.

Since I knew the pain and immobility that what was to come, I quickly and quietly warned my daughter (she's nine) so that she wouldn't be scared when I doubled over, turned beet red, and writhed in agony.

My next thought was my gun. If the dentist ended up calling 911 (a logical act), I would rather not have to explain it, or expose the EMTs to it. The only place I could put it, of course, was back in the car. My fear was that I might not make it there in time since I felt the intense pain was impending. But I had no choice. So, I rushed out and, as inconspicuously as possible, stored the SP101 under the seat.

I never made it back. I sat there in my car and 'birthed' my stone. Actually, it wasn't quite as bad as before, but still very painful. It only lasted about three minutes (I'm guessing here, since it felt like 20). When it passed I felt an odd sensation of pleasure in my back, which I think was my body's way of saying, "Glad that's over!". I didn't put my gun back on that day. It just didn't feel right.

Anyway, this situation brings up the implications of carrying concealed and having some type of medical emergency. Do you have a plan for this? Have you even thought about it? (Honestly, I had not.) What are some of the implications? If you do have some type of plan, please share.

Thanks for reading.

- Rich

Page generated in 0.06752 seconds with 8 queries