View Single Post
Old April 1, 2012, 07:58 AM   #7
thedaddycat

Thanks for all the input, I do appreciate the more experienced hand loaders who take the time to share their experiences and results.

Rifleman 1776, Trail Boss looks like a bunch of tiny "donuts" and seems to take up a lot of space for the weight. Fluffy is the adjective that comes to mind. Probably not much chance of a short charge with this powder as it would be readily seen in the case. It definitely does the job filling the case right up. Almost to the point where the 7 grain loads look like they may be slightly compressed, but if you shake it down there is enough room to seat the bullet without compression of the powder. It's made for lead bullets and seems to be geared for lighter loads used in Cowboy Action shooting. I am looking to develop light recoiling target loads in the hopes that I can get my daughter interested in shooting the .44 mag. She likes .38 Special just fine, not so much .357 or .44 mag loads. We'll see how these work out. I also have some 200 grain cast bullets to work up a load for so those will be next.

243winxb, I don't cast my own and hope I never do as I would never stop kicking myself for scrapping 700# of lead last year...

totaldla, Hodgdon load data lists 828 fps for 6.0 grains of TB and 917 fps for the 7.0 grain load with 240 grain lead SWC. I am not certain what they used as a test platform. I will be shooting in either the Ruger SRH (9 1/2") or S&W 629-1 (5 7/8"). It may be that I end up with different loads for each revolver, but isn't that part of the challenge of hand loading?

Ozzieman, I think I'll start with targets at 25 yards and see how it goes. I can always load up some more to check how they do at longer ranges. Larger sample groups alwyas yield better data and yes that means more shooting. I guess I'll just have to force myself to have more play time.... uh, dedicate more time to research.

Mike/Tx, I do have some Unique and 2400 on the shelf to try out, along with CCI, Winchester, and Wolf primers. There were only two sleeves of the Federal primers so I just wanted to use them up first. I can always go back and make the same loads with the other brands of primers to see what differences there are. Since these were development loads I did hand weigh every charge for uniformity. I used new Remington brass and did not even think to trim it first, thanks for that tip. I know that consistant length is necessary for uniform crimps from one round to the next. Your tips on the crimp and checking for movement are excellent. I have never brought my digital calipers with me to the range but I will do so in the future. Thank you very much for giving me another tool in my reloading arsenal.

Once again, thanks to all of you for your input.

Page generated in 0.03662 seconds with 8 queries