View Single Post
Old March 28, 2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Shoney

Gypsysteel

WELCOME TO TFL!

You do not need to trim straight walled semi-auto pistol brass. Wheel gun cases need to be the same length (OAL).

My experience with straight walled semi-auto brass shows that brass gets shorter with each loading. The cartridge is supposed to headspace on the front lip of the case on the front of the chamber. However, in reality, as the case gets shorter, the extractor holds the cartridge against the slide face where the firing pin can do its job.

Worst case scenario with short brass is that it will likely fall into the chamber and not be caught by the extractor, in which case it will not fire. I have 40SW cases that have been loaded a lot more than 10 times and 45 cases that are somewhere well over 25 loadings. There have been no malfunctions. I put a very light bell on my cases, compared to a lot of other loader, and I think that this reduces shortening. No scientific proof of that though.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Page generated in 0.01948 seconds with 8 queries