View Single Post
Old October 28, 2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Bill Akins

Doc please don't load directly from a powder flask. Just one teeny little ember would set that off in your hand like a grenade. It only takes a couple of seconds more to use the powder measure. Please don't take risks like that, I want to continue reading your posts, not hear you died. Even in the unlikely event you lived through a flask exploding, your hand would be gone and the exploding powder grains would burn out your eyes. It ain't worth losing a hand and having your eyes burnt out Doc. Please, please don't load directly from a flask....EVER.

Here's a good challenge for your inventive brain Doc. Make a kinetic bullet puller that doesn't dump the lubed bullet into the powder. I have an RCBS kinetic bullet puller that works very well, but if I am using a bullet that is lubed in any way, when it falls into the powder, the powder sticks to it and not only do I have to brush the powder off the bullet, but that messes up the measuring of the powder since some of the powder always goes into and sticks into the lubed groove.

I have always wished my kinetic bullet puller would somehow pull the bullet without dumping it into the powder. I have tried to whack the puller just enough so the bullet almost comes out but not quite, then hand pull the bullet the rest of the way, but I very seldom am able to judge the force needed to do that and most of the time dump the bullet into the powder. Even if the bullet isn't lubed, powder frequently sticks to it because of static electricity and I still have to brush it off most of the time. Wish there was a less messy way to pull the bullet.

(Lightbulb just went off as I was writing this!)
Just had an idea that might help you (and me). I was thinking about drilling and tapping threads into the end of my RCBS kinetic bullet puller, so that I could screw a threaded rod with a slot in its end (for adjusting depth with a screwdriver) into the end of the puller. So that the rod wasn't sticking out the end of the "hammer head" of the puller, but was inside the "head", and could be screwed down so that I could adjust it for depth, so that I could adjust it so that any bullet I wanted to pull would be stopped by the threaded rod, just a fraction before it came out of the case. Then I could finish pulling the bullet by hand so I never dumped the lubed bullet into the powder again.

Come to think of it, I'm going to make that mod to my RCBS kinetic bullet puller. Should be an easy thing to do. But I'll bet a homemade one by you like that would be interesting. Your homemade stuff is always cool and interesting.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; October 28, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Page generated in 0.02845 seconds with 8 queries