View Single Post
Old May 29, 2013, 03:17 PM   #26
Erno86

I forgot to mention in my last post...that the index finger forward is used with an exaggerated extension of the hand on the frontal portion of the weapon's forend.

I use multiple offhand stances for my shooting training with a rifle. I'll have to disagree with Swat's, Louis Awerbuck {The Lemming Factor, Training and Tactics, September 2010} "the trick is to determine which system works best for you and stick with it."

Their should be no single system or technique for offhand shooting. Each confrontation...might require a different offhand shooting shooting grip or stance --- as in a different grip in order to control recoil with multiple fast shot's --- or a different style that might require a precision long range offhand shot; as in triangulated skeletal bone support.

If you just grip the vertical foregrip... have one of your friends come over and grip the forend, and have him rotate the rifle back and forth. Now try Magpul's "thumb over" technique...and let him try to rotate the rifle. You'll find that the "thumb over" is a much firmer grip. It is also much easier to lock your wrist, with the thumb over grip.

You'll need to get the proper muscle sets for offhand shooting. Start off with 75 reps a night --- by raising an lowering a heavy rifle with your support hand --- with the butt of the rifle against your shoulder.

For most of my rifle and pistol shooting...I use Cylinder & Slide's nylon shooting strap --- with a slight pull forward on my support arm and hand --- while shooting offhand with a rifle. You'll find that you can hold the rifle against your shoulder for a long time without tiring. The Navy Seals, use a similar bungee cord system around there necks. The only thing that the sling does not prevent...is a flinch; though someone can come up behind you and garotte you with the sling around your neck.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; May 29, 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.03024 seconds with 8 queries