View Single Post
Old December 11, 2012, 06:17 PM   #38
rclark

Quote:
I am surprised you would state that .44 Special can be loaded up to .44 magnum levels, as that sounds dangerous and foolish to me.
Have you ever heard of Elmer Keith? Taffin? Skeeter? Brian Pearce? Seyfried? Read up . The .44 Special Keith Load isn't a 'magnum' load at all as it is only moving a 240g bullet at ~1200fps. That's wimpy compared to 1400+fps of a 'real' magnum load of a .44Mag. And yes, the .44 Special can be loaded up to 1200fps in the RIGHT revolvers (but NOT in a CA Bulldog for example). My goto load in .44 Special is the Skeeter Load (around 1000fps) in my Ruger .44Special flattop revolvers which for me is a good hard hitting accurate load. I have shoot a few Keith loads in mine but not for general use. Know your revolvers! Simple as that. If I want a 'Magnum' I'll grab my .44Mag... That is what it was designed for .... but, on the other hand, you don't have to be stuck at 700-800fps with the .44Spec either.

A few Keith/heavy Loads in the .44Spec references

Heavy Loads in the .44Special

Ross Seyfried on the .44Spec flattops

Taffin on the .44 Spec

Brian Pearce .44Spec PDF

A a treasure trove of .44 Special articles : Other .44Special Articles
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; December 11, 2012 at 07:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.03747 seconds with 8 queries