View Single Post
Old June 23, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
clement1

OLd wives tales

There is a body of writing and research that was posted here and there about a year ago regarding the Carcano and its metalic tensile strength.
All tests including deliberate destruction tests all came to the same conclusion...that the Carcano is a mighty strong little buckaroo...and that there was actually no real data to support the drift that they were anything less than a capable action. I am not talking about accuracy or anything like that...but that they were as strong or stronger than any of the common military rifles of their day. "Old wives tales" is what I call the tales folks promulgate when they have no actual experience with the subject matter they write or speak about...the basis of most of what you hear about Carcanos is just that.
I have had an M1 Garand and a 91/38 Tula blow to pieces without any provocation of ammo misuse etc.----yet you won't hear much about those venerable rifles being anything but legendary.

I have had 6.5 and 7mm Carcanos and fired them both extensively...never an 8mm though. Quite frankly I'd take a Carcano in either caliber over lets say a Krag or Austrian straight pull or most other rifles of their era other than 98 Mauser class weapons or better - if there is such a thing.

Page generated in 0.02645 seconds with 8 queries