View Single Post
Old June 25, 2000, 01:24 PM   #15
gunmart

The great debate.

The argument that point shooters have that is valid is that tunnel vision is a major factor when Billy the ax murderer is upon you.pointers will tell you that you will never see the sight and only the ax.i believe there is some truth to that.

In the same respect I feel that point shooting is nothing more than your muscle memory of thousands of repetitive draw stokes from the holster and pushing the gun up to eye level.

If this is true then why not train with your sights.?if the pointers are right and you will never see your sights then what is wrong with training with them?the worst thing that can happen in a fight is that you bring the gun up to eye level and you see your sights!wow wouldn't that be bad.lol.

Seriously I believe in sighted fire and practice it at all times.are there times that I practice unaimed fire .?yes.why? just to reaffirm in my mind how important it is to use the sights.

i think there is a third tech that is valid.it is taught by Jim cirrilo.he has been in more gun fights than some people have changed their underware.he uses the rear outline of the slide as a sight and gets good results.about a year ago Duane Thomas did a report on him in swat magazine and used both the frontsight approach and the cirrilo method.he found that accuracy was not affected all that much and that the times were about even.
the cirillo tech works great in very low light when it is still possible to identify the threat but you are unable to see the sights. i used this tech once at a night shoot with only abiant light and no night sights and got great hits.try it you might like it.

ps this tech can also be used with the shotgun .just shoulder the shotgun and get a good positive cheekweld with the shotgun and use the outline of the front of the barrel for a front sight.you will get good hits up to about 10 yards.

[This message has been edited by gunmart (edited June 25, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03556 seconds with 8 queries