Thread: Cowboy .357's
View Single Post
Old September 3, 2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Uncle Buck

Cowboy .357's

OK guys, I need a little help here understanding this.

I have heard people say they are shooting .357 Magnums at cowboy shoots and shooting black powder from them. It seems to me the .357 Magnum is not an authentic cowboy piece.

1. Are they shooting .38 Specials in the .357? (I do not know how the rules are set up.)

2. Is it the gun or the ammo that decides the qualification to use a certain firearm in these shoots?

3. Is the .357 Magnum considered cowboy gun for these cowboy shooting matches? (I know there were many other caliber and cartridges available, but right now I am interested in the .357 Magnum)

It is my understanding the .38 Special was introduced around 1902 while the .38 S&W was introduce back in 1878 and both of these cartridges were originally loaded with black powder. As such, I have no problem with these guns/rounds being used for cowboy re-enactments/shooting.

The .357 magnum round/handgun was introduced to the public sometime around 1935. By this time, smokeless powder was more the norm than the exception. (I am not sure as to when smokeless was introduced, but I believe I have read it was before 1935.)

I shoot black powder .38 specials from my .357 and can't figure out if what I like better, the smoke during the day or the sparks at night.

Page generated in 0.02873 seconds with 8 queries