Thread: Is this right?
View Single Post
Old June 18, 2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

Arithmetic tells me $2.50 but your logic is wrong. Math?

The guy who corrected you was obviously including the cost of everything that went into your reloads (and making assumptions about what they were, to boot).

$21.00/7000*6=1.8 cents per round for powder
3.2 cents per round for primers
5 cents per round times 50 is $2.50 per box of 50

But my primary difference with your calculations is your logic of excluding the components you count as "free". They may be free to you, but they are likely not free to the person you were talking to, so likely will result in a mis-communication. Mis-communicating? No point in having the conversation, right?

If you got several thousand primers, slugs and powder as a gift, would you then count the cost as zero?

Last year I bought 500 Berry's copper plated 230 grain 45 bullets for $76
Primers, I get for $15 for 500
Brass, if I had to buy it would be about a penny apiece, per firing (estimate)
Powder, lets say $12 per 500 ($24 per lb, and 7 grains per loading, just for ease in rounding the calculation)
Amortize my press and other gear, just for simplicity, we'll call this zero, but it is a cost, nonetheless.
My time. Opinions vary on whether this is a cost or not. So, zero

Bullets $7.60 for 50
Primers 1.50 for 50
Powder 1.20 for 50
Brass 0.50 for 50
Total $10.80 for 50

If I use cast lead from a local bullet caster, about $8.00 per 50

If I cast my own, I could get down to about $5.00 per box of 50, but at that point I would be more out-of-pocket expenses to hire the kid down the street to mow my lawn. How do I factor in THAT cost?

Logic.

The satisfaction of having freedom from my local retailer's purchasing decisions? The value of quietly setting down and cranking out a useful commodity? Priceless.

Not to be sexist about the comparison, but think of it this way. Women knit because it produces a good, occupies the hands and calms the mind. The clothing or doilies or whatever produced, and its cost is almost beside the point. Making handloads, for many of us is analogous to knitting. Ask Rosie Grier why he knits (anyone remember him?) Of course, you can't do that on airplanes any more, but you can't load ammo on a plane either.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; June 18, 2011 at 10:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.03479 seconds with 8 queries