View Single Post
Old March 21, 2013, 04:11 PM   #33
WildBill45

Get a Freedom Arms 454 as your SMALL GUN. Handguns are weak and tiny for big bears in a DEFENSIVE SCENARIO, hunting you can use smaller guns. But if a bear has your address, and he will in defense cases, a 500 S&W is the real tool. Let no one tell you different if you are wise.

Like a cop, they want to carry off-duty a 12 oz. .38, BUT, and there always is a but in life, if a bad guy shows up with a gun or knife they wish they had a 500 S&W ... Trust me!!!

The chances of you being attacked by a grizz is very low, very ... a black bear would be more likely there, as they are predatory unlike your Michigan blackies. BUT, if you need a HANDGUN in a close & personal meeting with your life on the line, use the largest handgun you can and WILL CARRY .... PERIOD. If you are wimpy on the recoil start dropping down in caliber to get where you can hit reliably, cause no hits is useless!!!

Nothing under .44 mag, but start with the .454, 475 Linbaugh, and up! Freedom Arms is the ROLLSROYCE of handguns and has a high resale value, and is fun to shoot period. A double-action has a big advantage though if you get into a weird position, hurt on one arm, or pinned down, etc ... you just point and shoot, and can do it one-handed if needed...

I loved carrying my Freedom Arms .454 everywhere, even Africa as Lion protection when hunting with a bow. I seriously doubt that I could hit a charging lion with a handgun, and I damn good, damn good. Lions are so fast, and not seen on TV when speed is not real just like Nascar on TV. If you have ever seen a charging lion in person, or a bear at full speed, you will see that it takes the best of the best to hit one in such a situation, IF, YOU CAN GET YOUR GUN OUT TO BEAR ON THE BEAR IN THE FIRST PLACE! MOST DON'T!!! This is why you need the most impact on the first shot, IF YOU EVEN GET ONE!

HAVE FUN IN ALASKA, BUT DO NOT WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT THE BEARS; YOU SHOULD FEEL BLESSED EVEN IF YOU SEE ONE!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; March 21, 2013 at 04:17 PM.

Page generated in 0.02755 seconds with 8 queries