View Single Post
Old April 30, 2010, 09:50 PM   #13
F. Guffey

I have two lathes, just past on another, Monarch 16 inch for $400.00, 4,500 lbs with tooling, no room and I would have to do the hauling, 800 miles one way. A friend purchased one of the two Monarch for sale, USAAF 1942 with an 18 inch swing,

Short chamber has to do with chambering after installing, I choose to chamber first then install and finish the last .003 + or- very little if required after checking head space, again the Mauser barrel bottoms out and does not advance except for crush, the feeler gage, a foreign tool around anything related to guns can be used to determine the gap between the front receiver ring and seating surface of the shoulder at the end of the threads. I have been lucky? I have never been required to move the shoulder forward to make sure the face of the barrel seats before the shoulder on the barrel and the gap never required the face of the barrel to be moved back. When indexing the M1917 or the 03 it is a given, I have never had one index without moving the shoulder forward and that is the only seating surface, like a small ring Mauser.

Tools: a depth micrometer and or dial caliper with the companion to the press the feeler gage, for me, is a must.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02152 seconds with 8 queries