View Single Post
Old March 19, 2013, 04:41 PM   #6068
Secshunate

Hello all,

I stumbled upon this nice forum while starting to search for history on the below weapon. I wonder if you knowledgable folks might share some insights on it.

S&W .38 CTG - No prefix serial # 784xxx
It has the checkered grips with the diamond around the screw, the silver logo circle, square butt with lanyard ring, and half-moon front sight. It has the lock at the front of the ejector rod and It appears to only have four screws on the frame. If the finish was ever blued, it’s all gone now, just black and could use TLC. I believe this revolver saw use during the war because the holster is beat up and it looks like the butt has been used as a hammer at least once.

This was my Grandfather’s and was either issued or acquired before or during WWII in England.
I also have the original canvas Royal Tank Regiment (I think) style holster with the six diagonal cartridge slots.

My father is asking if I would like to inherit this and I am wondering if this is worth getting a gunsmith to check it over and get it back to shooting condition, if it needs anything more than a cleaning, or if this is just a collectible model. Can you even get non-special .38 shells anymore?

Thanks much

Page generated in 0.03616 seconds with 8 queries