View Single Post
Old March 31, 2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Here is my question to Alliant with their answer below.

I had asked about mixing powders and what I had intended to say was... using the old along with the new using the same data etc. but not mixed within one round. However, I was not very clear and they gave me the safe answer thinking that I wanted to put both old and new in a can and stir them up to make one.

My Question:

I have retired, and just started reloading again after about 1 dozen years. I have some old powder that is still sealed in 1 lb. bottles. I talked to several who felt it should be still good. I use it for range and plinking and not for reliable self defense.

I decided to purchase new bottles of the same powders and then try them in comparison with a chronograph to see how they are.

I have Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, 2400, Bulls Eye, and a newer bottle of Power Pistol, I only bought fresh in Bulls Eye, Unique and Power Pistol to start with for my comparisons.

Am I ok doing this, or are these powders too old to consider? Is mixing them (mix like brands, an old with the new) something that can be done safely? Have the forumalitions changed that would forbid mixing?

They were stored in a basement where temp. range was maybe a 20 degree max. swing between seasons. About 55 to 75 degrees but mostly 60-65 degrees year round.

Also, I would like to have your most current loading datas for these powders if still availible for you to mail them to me. Do you still have the paperback brochure powder books that you give out? I have a new Lyman edition handbook, but there are few loads listed that will help me. I am loading both shotgun and pistol.

I understand that for liability reasons, you are more likely to tell me to properly dispose of old and get on with it. However, I think if I were still loading all these years, it's possible I would still be using some of these and would not think of it being a concern. What do you suggest?

Thanks you,

Answer:

If stored in the original container, and in a cool, dry location, our powder will easily last 30 years. I suspect that your powder is fine. We do not recommend that you blend like powders. Leave that to us.

We will be happy to send you our reloading guide. Thanks for your interest in contacting us and let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a nice day.

Ben Amonette
Consumer Service Manager
Alliant Powder Company
www.alliantpowder.com

NOTE:

Within about a week I had their loading manual show up in the mail. This will give you building code for storage and disposal instructions along with just about anything you would want to know about Alliant Powders. I thought this was a good book (and free) and I suggest you request a copy for your refrence.

I don't know if this answer would be the same from other powder makers or not, but it covered everythink I had left in storage. I have yet to load any to compare. It will be interesting to see how they chart out.

Page generated in 0.02944 seconds with 8 queries