View Single Post
Old July 1, 2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Scorch

I had a 77V in 22-250 I picked up in trade for working on another rifle. Had the old brown Micro-Bed bedding. Wouldn't shoot, I was told. I dug out the old bedding material and did a proper glass bedding job on it, set the barrel back two turns, put an old Tasco 6-18 rangefinder scope on it, and went to sight it in. First two shots touching was very promising, and the next three gave me a 1/2" group. A friend of mine wanted a 22-250 but was unconvinced by paper targets. We took a drive around his dad's ranch to find appropriate targets to test the rifle on. We were driving up along a hillside and he stopped the truck, got out and asked me to hand him the rifle. Out in the pasture about 450-500 yds, at the end of a branch, bobbing up and down about a foot and a half each swing of the branch, was a crow. He leaned across the truck door and fired. The crow disappeared in a puff of black feathers. He was pumped! "This rifle is a killer! How much do you want for it?" I told him what I wanted plus enough room to bargain, and he said OK. Later I asked him how he had doped the shot, he said he just put the crosshairs on the crow and fired. I figure he must have fired at the top of the crow's swing and hit it at the bottom of the swing. Had to be one of the luckiest shots (or unluckiest crow) I have ever seen!

Page generated in 0.02932 seconds with 8 queries