View Single Post
Old January 20, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1
8MM Mauser

Careers in the firearms industry

Hey all! I'm a college student, I'm working on a degree in Business Communications and ultimately an MBA. Right now I work in the administrative/service arm of a Xerox subsidiary, mostly keeping customers supplied with supplies for their purchased machines (under contract) or leased machines.

I am very interested in pursuing a career in the firearms industry. So far, I have applied for several jobs and had very little luck. At my LGS they looked at me like I was crazy when I applied for a simple position behind the counter. At several local sporting goods stores I have failed to get even a call back when applying for or inquiring about open positions.

My question I suppose, is: Do you really just have to know someone to work in this area? My LGS has kids younger than me (25) working their counters and I'm sure with less college (I have an associates) and based on conversations I've had with several of them, less firearms knowledge as well... Yet they don't take me seriously at all.

So , to those in the industry: what steps can i take to increase my chances for a firearms related career? What ways could I be representing myself better? And how can I go about demonstrating my knowledge of firearms when I can barely get a foot in the door?

Any advice is much appreciated!

PS: please don't just tell me to do something else, I already am and it bores me to death... I will continue doing something else if I fail to get into the industry but that is my goal.

Page generated in 0.03239 seconds with 8 queries