View Single Post
Old August 14, 2008, 06:07 PM   #36
Jimbow

22 mag for carry

Hi folks,I'm new to this forum and have to clear up some ideas about the 22 mag for carry.I have a Ruger P95 for a house gun along with 12 guage home defense pump.I also love to shoot a Taurus 970 Tracker in .22 LR for tons of fun.I have had this discussion many,many times over the years about the effectivness of the .22 Mag in a defense situation.I have owned and carried a flawlessly functioning Taurus 941 snubbie for a few years now and a long while ago i set about doing some backyard tests.What a 36 gn HP CCI Maxi mag does to what you shoot it into has to be seen to be believed.After reading this forum this last evening I decided to refresh my recollection of how well this round tears things up.So I soaked a hometown phone book and a Tampa phone book in water overnight.Today I set them on a stand and placed a fresh 1 inch piece of treated plywood in front of them.in front of a tree as backdrop.I fired 3 rounds from 6 feet.All three round absolutely blew through the board,both phone books and buried into the tree.The exit hole showed major disruption as the bullet exited.Man I would not want to get not one of these rounds blasted into my chest much less eight,which the cylinder holds. The notion that a .22 mag from a 2" barrel would do nothing but "Annoy" someone is laughable at least.The .22 mag is a potent close range defense round and so very easy to shoot and remain on target.It penetrated equally if not better than my Ruger useing 128 grain JHPs.I think some who quell useing the .22 mag as a defense round,have really not tested one themselves,for to do so is an eye opener for sure.

Page generated in 0.03805 seconds with 8 queries