View Single Post
Old July 23, 2014, 11:46 AM   #27
SansSouci

The problem with big bore handguns is accurate follow-up shots. I have never, ever met anyone who could rapid fire a .44 Rem Mag with any degree of accuracy. I am sure there are people who can do it, but they are the exception and not the rule. I'd guess that fewer than 10% of handgun shooters could put 6 .44 Mag rounds in the black at 25 yards in 5 seconds. The reality is it's assuredly less than 10% of all handgun shooters.

I have shot a Freedom Arms .454 Casull exactly three times. I put that gun down and never looked at it again. In my opinion, the .454 Casull is more of a novelty than a gun of utility.

I bought a 4" GP-100 for black bear defense. Where we fish, black bear grow huge. I have seen 400 pounders in the Eastern Sierra. Every once-in-a-while there are reports of blackies going over 500 lbs.

I use 180 grain Partitions and a maximum powder charge.

Longer barreled handguns are probably better for hunting, but they are no more accurate that 4" barreled guns, and they are not trail guns. I think that as far as revolvers go, 4" is maximum length, which is why S&W Mountain Guns come with only 4" barrels. Were a bear charging me, I need my gun out and in battery yesterday. And I need to hit a bear with .357 Mag bullets as opposed to missing it with .44 Mag bullets. Therefore, were one to ask me, if the gun were for only self-defense against hogs or anything else for that matter, .357 Mag is the biggest I'd go, with nothing larger tan a 4" barrel, and with stout 180 grain bullets.

It's one thing to talk big bore handguns, it's a whole other thing to shoot them. As for me, I shot my last big bore handgun when I shot my friend's .454 Casull. And I used to own a 6" Model 629, with heavy emphasis on, "...used to own." I sold that boat anchor after owning it for about five years. I have never, ever felt a tinge of seller's remorse.

Page generated in 0.02492 seconds with 8 queries