View Single Post
Old June 16, 2013, 05:11 AM   #6
Slowhand

Variety....

I’ve got 3 Old Military Style Rifles in my collection.

Last summer, I bought an Arisaka Type 38, manufactured in 1905. The Mum is missing but it’s in great shape.

Later on in the Summer I bought two Mosin Nagants 7.622x54 M91/30s. I had loads of fun cleaning the Cosmoline off. One was made in Tulia Arsenal in 1938 and the other in 1939. I traded off the one from 1938.

This year picked I up an Argentine Mauser Model 1891; from bolt face to muzzle it’s now 21 inches. The stock is now 31 inches, with the barrel bands, top hand guard and wire long gone. She was manufactured in 1894. She looks like one of those classic “Sporterized” that Montgomery Ward was selling back in the days you could mail order one.

I found the Mauser designs that were incorporated into each of the two later models interesting.

When Mauser starting his production of the Model 1891s South America was a busy country with all kinds of wars raging. His next customers were the Turks and Spanish as the world passed through the Russo-Turkish War 1877-78 and the Spanish Civil War 1877-78 along with other wars fought between empires that no longer exist.

All this led up to WWI and WWII. The development of bolt action rifles with magazines that could be loaded with clips. Then along came semi-automatic and real assault rifles that changed everything.

Page generated in 0.02143 seconds with 8 queries