View Single Post
Old May 7, 2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Erno86

May I quote from my favorite gun magazine --- NRA's "Shooting Illustrated" --- on some pistol drills; April 2013. {SKILLS CHECK, by Ed Head}

Quote:
I often start a practice with precise head shots at 3 to 7 yards, move on to fast pairs on single and multiple targets, and then run through failure drills. I finish by shooting at steel from a standing position using both hands at 25 yards and one hand a 50 yards.

For the Change-Up drill--- designed by Col. Jeff Cooper --- you will need a torso-sized steel silhouette target placed at 7 yards and an 8-inch, round steel plate at 60 yards. On the start signal, with the pistol in the holster, draw and hit the silhouette twice, and by ringing the 8-inch plate once. That's it --- three hits, and the best time wins.

On a good day, highly skilled shooters can sometimes run this drill in three seconds, firing all three shots while standing. If you don't have a steel silhouette, substitute a cardboard or paper target. Depending on your skill level, there is nothing wrong with moving the second stop plate closer and then gradually moving it back as your hits increase. Practice shooting the stop plate from standing, kneeling and prone.

The Change-Up combines gun-handling skills, speed shooting and precision. If you can smoke it, Jeff Cooper will be smiling down on you from Valhalla.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; May 7, 2013 at 02:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.02009 seconds with 8 queries