View Single Post
Old September 13, 2011, 08:56 AM   #12
Hardcase

Don P, the problem that I see with what the ATF agent said at the seminar you attended is that it seems to contradict what has been published by the ATF:

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/20...io-relics.html

The second bullet in the "Required" section says "Must enter into the A/D record all curios and relics acquired after receipt of the collector’s license."

Here's why I think that there is a conflict:

1. Neither that bullet nor the supporting law makes any differentiation between a purchase with or without a license.
2. Neither that bullet nor the supporting law defines a curio or relic in terms of a firearm purchased using the license.

Now, I appreciate that an agent said that you're OK if you don't enter the firearms if you didn't use the license because that makes sense for an 01FFL. But given that what's on paper about 03FFLs seems to contradict what the agent said, I would (and do) enter all C&R firearms into my bound book.

The rules regarding personal firearms for an 01FFL are not the same as for an 03FFL. The ATF differentiates between the firearms that an 01FFL purchases for his personal collection (by way of a 4473), versus those he purchases for his business. In the case of an 03FFL, all purchases are for his personal collection, whether using the license or a 4473.

Page generated in 0.02548 seconds with 8 queries