View Single Post
Old January 20, 2010, 11:55 AM   #11
hagar

The only Super-Duper ammo I ever shot, was Winchester Failsafes. And only because Walmart was practically giving them away 12 years ago, 308 for $8 a box, 270 and 30/06 for $9 a box, and 7mm mag for $12/box. I bought a lot of it, cleaned out 4 Walmarts in AZ. I would probably never need to buy hunting ammo in my lifetime..

Anyway, this stuff shot better than my best handloads. I shot a group at 500 yards with my 7mm Sendero that looked like a 100 yard group, a very good group! My 30/06 loved it, so did the 270. Never shot any of the 308, as I only have semi autos or match rifles in this caliber, no hunting rigs. Took some of it to South Africa, and shot a wounded springbok trying to get away in the back of the head at over 300 yards with a 165 Failsafe. Gave a couple of boxes of 270 to my friends, and they all raved about it.

Would I pay $30 a box for it, probably not. Some of the bigger cartridges are so outrageous it defies believe. You can easily plunk down $50-$100 for 20 rounds of 340 Weatherby. If I was to go on an elephant hunt, I could see maybe paying big bucks for some monolithic solids, or some really good bonded bullets, but in general I can load my own for 30% of new factory prices.

Page generated in 0.03158 seconds with 8 queries