View Single Post
Old July 15, 2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Webleymkv

Really, the criteria for a good HD handgun isn't all that different from a good CC handgun. The main difference is that you aren't constrained to what is concealable. I'd say that a full-sized service model (revolver or semi, whatever you're more comfortable with) in .38 Spl +P/9mm and up would be the ideal choice. The one caveat to this is that a 4" barrel revolver or 5" barrel semi would be the longest I'd care for as longer barrels begin to present weapon-retention difficulties in a scuffle. With regards to overpenetration, any handgun round with enough penetration to be suitable for self-defense will also have more than enough penetration to pass through the interior walls of most homes (as will shotgun loaded with birdshot). Personally, I think it's probably wiser to look at overpenetration as a tactics issue rather than an issue of caliber or loading. Try to take a position that minimizes the risk of collateral damage due to overpenetration and then use the most powerful handgun that you can shoot quickly and accurately and load it with premium JHP from a reputable manufacturer.

Page generated in 0.03058 seconds with 8 queries