View Single Post
Old November 13, 2002, 02:53 PM   #9
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

We're pretty close to exhausting my store of knowledge - - -

- - -but, no, I don't believe there is a legal way to do that. Even a Class III dealer cannot--Takes a special manufacturer license. I'm sure you could go directly to the ATF web site and look up all the various types of licenses, and then find the qualifications for such, and this would then detail what each entitles the licensee to do.

As I understand it, in years past, there was an exemption allowing a person to make ONE machine gun for experimental purposes, and to legally register it to himself, without paying the tax or having a mfgrs license. This all changed when the Govt decided there would be NO MORE machine guns licensed for private ownershipo in the USA. Again, this is to the best of my understanding. I am not an attorney, and cannot give legal counsel. Truthfully, though, most licensed attorneys don't know enough about federal firearms law to be of much help.

And, what's really worse, most federal agents have little or no understanding of such--except, of course, "NO, IT'S NOT LEGAL FOR YOU TO OWN A MACHINE GUN! Oh, well, yeah, I GUESS you can get some sort of permit. Nope, can't help you."

You might want to open another topic here on the Full Auto board at TFL, about "Need Legal Advice About Making Machine Guns," or something of the sort. Bet you get some replies.

If you want to research this matter, suggest you go to - - -http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/
"The Unofficial Tommy Gun Page." Predictably, they specialize in the Thompson SMG, but there are some useful links oven in the left margin of the home page. There are at least a couple of forums dedicated entirely to various types of full auto firearms, and you might learn something valuable from them.

Sorry my knowledge is so limited, but I'd rather confess ignorance than give another member the wrong information and cause confusion, or, worse, legal problems.

Best of luch,
Johnny

Page generated in 0.03203 seconds with 8 queries