View Single Post
Old February 15, 2006, 04:26 PM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

I don't hunt a lot of public land either because we have a group lease, but I used to years ago.
It is most important to decide what area you want to hunt, and get familiar with it months before season.
You can look for sign if you want to, but you will have to bear in mind that the patterns will change before season.

About the week-end before season, you should have where you want to hunt established,and have scouted out any trails that give you access .
NOW is the time to look for tracks, TIRE TRACKS. Look to see how many people have been to your area, so you will have some idea of what you are getting into opening morning. Most guys won't scout any week-end except the week-end before season for a place to hunt, so picking up their trail isn't to hard, and will make a big difference in how YOUR hunt will go.

Last year I hunted public land, I got out about an hour before light and was in my stand, and really excited about the opening morning. When the sun came up, it looked like the woods was on fire, with all the orange around me.
Just lucky the deer didn't move or someone would probably have gotten shot.

Check around and see if you and a buddy (Don't hunt alone, it's just plain stupid) can find someone with a small piece of property that needs a little work done like building or repairing fences, or roofing, ect. You might find that lease money is not what a lot of small land owners want.
We have a 500 acre lease that yeilds nice Bucks every year and we have the run of the place. All we have to do is keep fences repaired and help the owner at round-up time in the spring, with his cattle.

It beats the hell out of Public area hunting if you can find it.

Page generated in 0.02257 seconds with 8 queries