View Single Post
Old August 5, 2014, 10:36 AM   #14
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
A muzzleloader doesn't require a NICS check, it's ability to burn smokeless is irrelevant. It's still designed to use BP. The early Savage 10 required a NICS check because ATF decided it was easily convertible to a firearm. The ML-10II did not require a NICS check.
Interesting; thanks. I thought the Savage required a NICS *because of* smokeless powder. Well there goes that theory.

And then now Randy W says that the Ultimate *IS* a NICS-check firearm.... Lol, double whammy on the theory. In that case, Remington *really* should have made it smokeless capable (which it surely is, if it has the same heat treat as other 700s, whether they say it or not).

Randy, why didn't they use a common brass like say 10mm auto or .45 acp or similar - or even .45 super? Doesn't make sense to me to use a proprietary brass for these.

Nice vid, Randy. I use Blackhorn 209 now. I didn't catch what range you said you were shooting at, in that vid.... ???

Wyosmith, I would *love* for all states to outlaw this stuff for ML seasons and require a truly primitive (somewhat) arm, meaning sidelock / percussion cap at best, with round balls and a patch. Although I'm undecided on whether real BP should be mandated - probably yes. I'd even make the plastic-stocked Hawkens off limits if I were in charge of the wildlife departments - with a phrase like "substantially similar to .... rifles actually used in the year X" - then we could argue whether that was 1810 or 1830 or whathaveyou. I'd stop just short of requiring the hunter to wear coonskin caps and deerskin fringe jackets.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; August 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.02932 seconds with 8 queries