View Single Post
Old June 12, 2013, 06:14 PM   #1
ryanh51

Self Defense/concealed carry

So I just recently got into firearms. I've been shooting here and there my whole life but i got my first shotgun this past christmas(I'm 22) and since then I've bought myself a Mosin Nagant and a Taurus 357 revolver.

I feel like I'm kind of 'old school' for a 22 year old. I'm looking to get married in about a year and my fiance and I are both looking forward to starting a family. I'm NOT one who thinks that a woman belongs in the kitchen and a man belongs at work, but I DO feel like part of my job is to protect and provide for my future family(immediately just my future wife but eventually my children as well)

SO... I'm pretty clear that I want to have guns in the house. Somewhere secure but accessible in an emergency. What I'm not clear about is when, where, and how I want to conceal carry/open carry my handgun. There are some things that seem obvious. Walking through downtown big city at night I definitely want some protection for me and my wife. Going to church I'd rather not be carrying a loaded handgun. I'm still working out the in-between stuff though. Do I keep it in my car all the time but only carry it on my person when I feel the need? Do I leave it at my house unless I foresee some potential risk? Do I carry it ALL the time except for rare instances when I can't/shouldn't?

What do you guys do? How many of you have actually been forced to used a handgun in self defense and what situations would you recommend carrying a gun? I'm sure there are pros and cons to every situation but what has experience led everyone else to?

Page generated in 0.02927 seconds with 8 queries