View Single Post
Old June 8, 2012, 01:42 AM   #1
scot_th_rock

.300 savage reloading - Optional brass?

Hi. newbie here. I know the basics, search the forum before asking questions but I couldn't find my answer so here goes.

I recently inherited a .300 Savage model 99. Beautiful rifle. Planing on taking it hunting this year for black tail deer here in CA.

I've found this cartridge has not necessarily been discontinues but rather orphaned due to superior ballistics of the 30-06, 308 and others.

So naturally the ammo is harder to find. I've found Remington and Federal but it is a bit pricey. I reload for my 06 and 35 Remington already so why not this little baby? Anyway, my real question is can I use alternate brass for the 300 savage? I can use 270 cases for my 06. It is the same case length just necked down. My resizing dies have had no issue necking them up to .308 diameter shells.

I looked at the 308 cases. 308 has a case length of 2.015 whereas the .300 is 1.871. The 308 neck is longer and would have to be painstakingly trimmed to get close to the 300 neck. However, that leave little room for the seat of the shell. This obviously adds to the points of failure considering the pressures at that point on the case.

My reason for asking is if I could recycle 308 brass for my 300, it would save a few bucks but is it even worth it? Will the 308 neck length even chamber into the breach if not trimmed?

I'm pretty much answering my own question here but thought to ask just in case there was an alternate brass that could be used since this stuff is spendy.

I'll most likely buy the factory stuff and reload that after fired. I generally tend to play by the rules and common sense when it comes to my firearms and reloading.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Page generated in 0.03665 seconds with 8 queries