View Single Post
Old December 6, 2010, 03:43 PM   #2
woodguru

Try modulating the takedown torque on the action screw, that can make a difference as the torque is increased and the right torque zone is reached. I had enough of a problem with it on a few rifles that I bought a really fancy torque screw driver. I haven't known that many people that go beyond using what they feel is a good firm torque without over cranking. It's certainly worth trying next time you are out. Start with a nice firm amount, shoot, then simply give it another slightly increased tightening, keep doing it and shooting until it's really cranked. I've had one and a half groups drop to half an inch when they are tightened where they like to be.

Bedding and stock work is the first thing typically looked at in accurizing a given rifle, then action and barrel parameters are looked at for further refining, headspace etc.

I had a Sako .243 Forrester that had just a touch of side pressure on the barrel from the forend out by the end. A little sanding to where a dollar bill ran smoothly under the barrel was all it took to keep it from stringing groups.

Page generated in 0.03412 seconds with 8 queries